Intercession is a prayer for others. The intercessor is one who does something on behalf of another. He is the man or woman in the gap. ( Ez 22 :30-31) And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none. 31 Therefore have I poured out mine indignation upon them; I have consumed them with the fire of my wrath: their own way have I recompensed upon their heads, saith the Lord God.
It maybe between God and a needy nation, a needy situation, or a needy people. It is standing before God for man, and before man for God.1 Pet 2:9 says , but you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people, to show forth the praises of him, who has called you out of darkness into marvelous light
We are a royal priesthood.to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God by Jesus Christ 1 Pet 2 :5, Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
Ps141v2 ,Let my prayer be set before you as incense, and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
- When we look into the word of God , Priests were authorised ministers , who made sacrificial offerings and mediated between God and man.
- Priests were sanctified to office Ex 29:44 And I will sanctify the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar: I will sanctify also both Aaron and his sons, to minister to me in the priest's office.
We must be consecrated to God Ex 29:21. And thou shalt take of the blood that is upon the altar, and of the anointing oil, and sprinkle it upon Aaron, and upon his garments, and upon his sons, and upon the garments of his sons with him: and he shall be hallowed, and his garments, and his sons, and his sons' garments with him.
Our lives must be reserved exclusively for Him.We must offer our lives purely for his glory. This consecration included certain kinds of war and soldiers were sometimes consecrated before battle. 1Sam 7 v 9-10;
Is13v3 I have commanded My sanctified ones; I have also called My mighty ones for My anger— Those who rejoice in My exaltation
- And Samuel took a suckling lamb and offered it as a whole burnt offering to the Lord. Then Samuel cried out to the Lord for Israel, and the Lord answered him. 10 Now as Samuel was offering up the burnt offering, the Philistines drew near to battle against Israel. But the Lord thundered with a loud thunder upon the Philistines that day, and so confused them that they were overcome before Israel.
As His battle axe , and weapon of war, we will need to be consecrated. Jer 51 v20-24
- “You are My battle-ax and weapons of war: For with you I will break the nation in pieces; With you I will destroy kingdoms;
- 21 With you I will break in pieces the horse and its rider; With you I will break in pieces the chariot and its rider;
- 22 With you also I will break in pieces man and woman; With you I will break in pieces old and young; With you I will break in pieces the young man and the maiden;
- 23 With you also I will break in pieces the shepherd and his flock; With you I will break in pieces the farmer and his yoke of oxen; And with you I will break in pieces governors and rulers.
- 24 “And I will repay Babylon And all the inhabitants of Chaldea For all the evil they have done In Zion in your sight,” says the Lord.
In 1 Sam 7 v9-10
, we see Samuel interceding with God for Israel , and does it by sacrifice. He offered a whole burnt offering, which was a sacrifice made purely for the glory of God. He then cried unto the Lord on behalf of Israel , and the Lord heard him and thundered with a great thunder on that day upon the Phillistines. Let us bring our lives as a whole burnt offering to Him, and He too will give us victory over our enemies as we wage warfare. Deut33v10,
They shall teach Jacob thy judgements, and Israel thy law: They shall put incense before thee and whole burnt sacrifice before thine altar.
Priests were called to a holy life. There was to be no physical blemish. Lev21v17-23
- 17 Speak unto Aaron, saying, Whosoever he be of thy seed in their generations that hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God.
- 18 For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous,
- 19 Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded,
- 20 Or crookback, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken;
- 21 No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the LORD made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God.
- 22 He shall eat the bread of his God, both of the most holy, and of the holy.
- 23 Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries: for I the LORD do sanctify them.
We must live holy lives before God. We must be vessels of honour. 2 Tim 2 v 20-21
20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.
We must walk circumspectly and exercise spiritual excellence.
1 Thes 4 v7 For God has not called us to uncleaness, but to holiness.
1 Pet 1 v16 Because it is written, Be ye holy as I am holy.
Priests had to keep the lamp burning continually. Ex27v20-21;
- 20 And thou shalt command the children of Israel, that they bring thee pure oil olive beaten for the light, to cause the lamp to burn always.
- 21 In the tabernacle of the congregation without the vail, which is before the testimony, Aaron and his sons shall order it from evening to morning before the Lord: it shall be a statute for ever unto their generations on the behalf of the children of Israel.
And the fire upon the altar shall be burning in it; it shall not be put out: and the priest shall burn wood on it every morning, and lay the burnt offering in order upon it; and he shall burn thereon the fat of the peace offerings. 13 The fire shall ever be burning upon the altar; it shall never go out.
The priests were to light the lamps , and to tend them. May the altars of prayer in our nations continue to burn and not go out. May the word of God be a lamp to our feet and a light to our path.
Ps.119vs105. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
Our prayers must continue to ascend and be lifted up to God who both hears and answers prayer.
Ps65v2. O thou that hearest prayer, unto thee shall all flesh come.
May there be a continuance. May we service these altars regularly, daily . Ex29v38-39 Now this is that which thou shalt offer upon the altar; two lambs of the first year day by day continually. 39 The one lamb thou shalt offer in the morning; and the other lamb thou shalt offer at even: May it not only be applicable to the teams we lead, but may it also apply to our personal devotion. Ps34v1I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
Let us now turn our attention to Abraham , his pleading for Sodom and his nephew Lot. Gen18v16-33 16 And the men rose up from thence, and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with them to bring them on the way.
17 And the Lord said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;
18 Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord, to do justice and judgment; that the Lord may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
20 And the Lord said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.
22 And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the Lord.
23 And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?
24 Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein?
25 That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?
26 And the Lord said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes.
27 And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes:
28 Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for lack of five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy it.
29 And he spake unto him yet again, and said, Peradventure there shall be forty found there. And he said, I will not do it for forty's sake.
30 And he said unto him, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak: Peradventure there shall thirty be found there. And he said, I will not do it, if I find thirty there.
31 And he said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord: Peradventure there shall be twenty found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for twenty's sake.
32 And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake.
33 And the Lord went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham: and Abraham returned unto his place.
Abraham was a friend of God , and as such could be entrusted with secrets hidden from others. The secret of the Lord is with those that fear Him , and He will show them His covenant. Ps25v14.; The secret of the Lord is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant.
John15v15. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
In Gen 18v17 , God says, shall I hide from Abraham that which I do ? In vs19, for I know him, that he will command his children and household after him , and they shall keep the way of the Lord to do justice and judgement.
The cry of Sodom and Gomorrah had become very great and their sin was very grievous God wanted to bring this to the attention of his servant. There are many cries in our nations that have reached the heart of God. Cries of injustice, oppression, immorality, violence, innocent blood that has been shed. The list goes on and on..As soon as God alerts Abraham of the approaching destruction, Abraham, because he had the heart of an intercessor, takes occasion to speak to God on Sodom`s behalf. vs23 Will you also destroy the righteous with the wicked. vs 25 Shall not the Judge of the earth do right.
1. Abraham stood yet before the Lord. Intercession or an intercessor is a man or woman standing before God. As one stands before the Lord, he listens to what God has to say. He then prays through what God has said. Dan 9 v1-3.
In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, of the seed of the Medes, which was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans; 2 In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of the years, whereof the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem. 3 And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes:
May our standing with God be such that He will communicate His purposes to us before they happen.
2. Abraham drew near . Gen 18v23. As intercessors, we need to draw near to God. Abraham engaged his heart to approach God. Let us engage our hearts to approach God.
Jer30vs21b... And I will cause him to draw near, and he shall approach unto me: For who is it that has engaged his heart to approach me, says the Lord.
3. Abraham persevered. Perseverence is the refusal to at once accept denial. Because you refuse to accept denial , you are determined to persevere and to continue until an answer comes. Abraham, in pleading for Sodom, renewed his prayer six times. He entered into God`s mind. For Abraham`s sake, Lot was saved. Abraham stopped pleading because he had got his answer. He now rests in God`s will.
So much can be averted if and when we intercede.
Ez22v30-31. And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none. Therefore have I poured out mine indignation upon them; I have consumed them with the fire of my wrath: their own way have I recompensed upon their heads, saith the Lord God.
Let us build up those hedges. Let us stand in the gap for our nations. Let us be co-workers with God.
In His Service